Sunday, March 10, 2013

It's as Easy as Falling Off a Log

After two days in Georgia I can say two things for sure about this state.  It sparkles and definitely believes in the mathematical statement that the shortest distance between two points is a straight line.  The mountain here is full of quartz and mica and the sun glistens beautifully off these rocks.  But the trail goes straight up the mountainside and straight down the other side.  Hey Georgia! Ever hear of a switchback?  Right now the wavy elevation lines in my guide book are taking on new meaning.  Oh and yesterday at lunch I found out just how easy it is to fall off a log...especially when you take a seat to rest and it rrolls.


4 comments:

  1. I lived in Georgia for about a year in the 70's...remember it vividly....not the sparkle, but the heat and humidity and bugs........ i guess not that bad this time of the year.
    Take good care of yourself and don't sit on to many logs lol
    Liane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your writing! You sound so upbeat, like you are having a blast! Thanks for the warning about the straight lines. I'll be following your boot tracks in three weeks! Janet/ Slow n' Steady

    ReplyDelete
  3. April, if you are disappointed in the paucity of switchbacks on the steep inclines in GA, just wait until you pass Bly Gap. I believe the two trail maintaining clubs in NC have never even HEARD of switchbacks, let alone even broached the idea of breaking up their steep inclines with them.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're doing a great job. Each day will get easier. I am so proud of you! Georgia is definitely beautiful. I am going to warn Katahdin that you are coming to kick her butt when I climb her in June!Hugs

    ReplyDelete